04 November 2008

Happiness Is: Watching Good Election Results With Your Kids

I remember watching the returns with my dad in 1976. I had a Ford bumper sticker on my homemade gocart, but my parents were (of course) Carter voters. I thought Ford was great because I knew who he was, and had really never heard of Carter until that fall. Happily Carter won and I took the Ford sticker off my gocart.

Tonight I'm watching the returns with my oldest daughter, who is within a few months of the age I was in1976. But this time father and daughter are rooting for the same candidate: there's a hand-drawn Obama sign in our front window, another on the lawn, and everyone in the family has been proudly wearing "I Voted" stickers since we went to the polls this morning.

It's going to be a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment